I am currently in the midst of a bad cold, or as they say in Italy, "raffredore". It started coming on a few days ago, when I noticed that my head seemed to spin and that I was sneezing more than usual, (which is saying a lot, given I sneeze probably twice as much as the average person). I went to bed, feeling ok, and then when I got up on Sunday, I was hit by a ton of bricks. Let me just say this: Colds are no fun. I tried to focus on studying Chinese characters, but leaning my head over my desk seemed to make my sinuses run even more, so I opted for laying in bed and reading. Later I went to my friend/twin Nico's house, where his wonderful father Flavio made me something to eat and some fennel tea to relieve my head of the incessant achiness. It was then that I began to think about how the common cold is viewed in different countries across the world. In the US, we start feeling the symptoms and grab an aspirin or drink some echinacea tea and take a bath. In Italy, it's much different. First of all, Italians think that it's crazy that I don't blow dry my hair at night. They believe that the origin of all colds is a chilly head and lack of a scarf. Part of me does believe this is true, where in America I recall some my classmates, (boys), who would wear shorts in winter, even when it was snowing outside. In Italy, old "wive's tales" are considered to be more legitimate than in the States. When I asked Flavio what he thought the best remedy for a cold was, he said, "Milk with honey and brandy". Now, in the USA I think that would hardly be considered a good idea, given that alcohol makes you feel worse when you are sick. But according to tradition, brandy, mixed with milk and honey, warms your insides while coating your throat with honey and lactose. I know that in America, it is said that dairy is not a good thing to consume while sick, but the cure has stuck in Italy and it hasn't hurt anyone yet! There does seem to be a common theme between the two cultures' remedies: Vitamin C. As well as in the US, packets are sold in pharmacies and grocery stores that contain Vitamin C powder. Flavio made me "spremuta", which is freshly squeezed orange juice, and I felt immediately better. Actually, for the most part I feel pretty good right now, and it's all thanks to Flavio's cures past down generation to generation!
Honey does seem to be a theme for me...

No comments:
Post a Comment